Project management professionals have the knowledge, skills, tools and techniques to successfully manage projects from a wide range of industries. To remain competitive in a global economy, organizations are using project management processes to shorten product development cycles, respond quickly and effectively to opportunities, re-evaluate their processes, capitalize on the technical knowledge within the organization and control costs. Project management is one of the top skill sets sought by organizations to help ensure their objectives are met on time and on budget.Back to Top
Program Description (Laptop program)
This program is designed for students with previous education. Please see the entrance requirements section of this page for more detail.
It will provide you with the knowledge, skills, tools and techniques to successfully manage projects from a wide array of industries. Students who have experience and are seasoned professionals in the area of project management will have the opportunity to learn new skills and add to their credentials in order to advance their career. In addition students will have several opportunities to gain real-world experience through case study analysis and a capstone project.
To remain competitive in a global economy, organizations are using project management processes to shorten product development cycles, respond quickly and effectively to opportunities, re-evaluate their processes, capitalize on the technical knowledge within their organization and control costs. Project management is one of the top skill sets sought by organizations to help ensure their objectives are met on time and on budget.
Individuals with these specialized skills are becoming increasingly important in today's economy.
Graduates will be prepared to initiate, plan, execute, monitor and control a project to ensure its success.
Project managers are key employees in many organizations, managing a wide array of projects in almost every major industry. In just eight-months, you will gain the foundation for success and develop the ability to:
- Managing the scope, cost, timing and quality of a project.
- Aligning a project to an organization's strategic plans and goals.
- Identifying project goals, constraints, deliverables, performance criteria, control needs and resource requirements in consultation with stakeholders.
- Implementing Project Management Institute knowledge around processes, lifecycle phases and concepts and tools and techniques.
- Using technology for communication, collaboration, information management and decision support.
- Applying appropriate legal and ethical standards.
- Two-or three-year college diploma or university degree (business, information technology, or technology studies recommended)
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products, especially Excel (recommended)and/or
- Minimum three years demonstrated work or educational experience
WHAT YOU COULD BE:
- Project co-ordinator
- Project manager
- Project scheduler
WHERE YOU COULD WORK:
- The arts
- Consulting firms
- Community or social services
- Engineering firms
- Finance companies
- Health-care industry
- Government agencies
- Law offices
- Media companies
Course List & Descriptions
- Business Principles (BUSP 1202)
- The Principles Of Project Management (PROJ 1200)
- Project Resource Planning And Scheduling (PROJ 1203)
- Project Communication (PROJ 1204)
- Project Management Tools And Application (PROJ 1206)
- Project Cost Management (PROJ 2204)
- Project Management Capstone Project (PCAP 2201)
- Project Quality Management (PROJ 1201)
- Project Risk Management (PROJ 2205)
- Project Procurement (PROJ 2206)
- Project Plan, Integration, Monitoring And Control (PROJ 2207)
- Project Leadership (PROJ 2208)
- Applications For Project Management (PROJ 2209)
Courses and course descriptions are subject to change.Back to Top
|YEAR ONE FEES||Domestic||International|
Please note: fees are based on the 2016-2017 academic year and do not include textbooks. For more information please see Other fees to consider.Back to Top
Students enrolled in laptop programs will enjoy an exceptional learning experience through the use of technology. The advanced technical skills and knowledge that employers look for in graduates will provide students with a decided advantage when entering the workforce. Please pay close attention to the hardware and software requirements of your program as the requirements are not the same for all laptop programs.
How laptop learning works:
- Review your specific program page for hardware and software requirements
- Acquire your own laptop from a vendor of your choosing including all of the hardware and software components listed below
Please note: Some software may be included in tuition fees for some programs. Please ensure that you are required to buy software before making a purchase.Back to Top
Minimum Recommended Hardware
- Laptop: Personal computer (PC) not a Mac
- Operating System: Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10 (if available)
- Processor: Intel Core i5 or better (Not AMD)
- Memory: 4 GB of RAM (8 GB preferred)
- Hard Drive: 250 GB or larger (Solid State Drive (SSD) preferred)
- Warranty: 3 years parts and labour (On-site preferred)
- Other features: 2 USB ports
- Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
- Microsoft Office 2013
- Internet Explorer
- Mozilla Firefox
- Acrobat Reader
- Real Player
- Windows Media Player
- Adobe Flash Player and Browser Plug-in
- K-Lite Codec Pack
- Sage AccPac 5.5(Year 2)
OPTIONALBack to Top
Opportunities For Degree Completion Or Additional Credentials
Durham College students registered in the Project Management graduate certificate program will be enrolled for student membership with the Project Management Institute (PMI), and the PMI Durham Highlands Chapter (PMI-DHC) located in Durham Region. This one-year renewable membership will support students in making networking connections and reviewing their options after the program is completed. It is highly recommended that a student consider the CAPM® (Certified Associate in Project Management) certification from PMI® after graduation to show their commitment to the profession and further increase their chances for gaining employment.
Please visit the Transfer Guide for more information.Back to Top