Photographers use their cameras as conversation starters, tools of exploration and instruments for change. For the past 150 years photographs have helped shape our world and given us a better understanding of human nature. They have the power to document events, reveal truths and change the way we see ourselves, so be ready. Learn to capture your own imagination and meet the imaging needs of your clients.Back to Top
Program Description (Laptop program)
NOTE: Students enrolling in this program are required to purchase their own laptop. For specific hardware and software requirements for this program click here.
This program is designed to provide a balance between strong technical skills and artistic vision. With an emphasis on effective composition and meaningful content you will explore a variety of topics including:
- Image storage
This program also emphasizes critical thinking by requiring you to:
- Examine past solutions
- Explore new and more efficient techniques
- Learn how to use technology confidently and safely.
The curriculum combines creative theory, technical language and practical experience through the use of state-of-the-art hardware and software. Courses are focused on a variety of techniques including image capture and processing as well as entrepreneurial skills
A common first-year with the Digital Video Production program will give you an opportunity to gain a second diploma by completing a third year of studies.
Please note: This is based on available spaces, please contact the Registrar’s office at email@example.com for further details.Back to Top
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma or Mature Student Status
- Grade 12 English (C or U)
Our graduates work in diverse areas of industry such as commercial, corporate, retail and freelance photography.
WHERE YOU COULD WORK:
- Commercial production
- Fine art
- Gallery or museum
- Independent studios
- Marketing and communication departments • Photojournalism
- Police service
- Publications – print and web based
Course List & Descriptions
- Audio Capture (AUDI 1400)
- Fundamentals Of Lighting (FUND 1400)
- General Education Elective (GNED 0000)
- Image Processing I (IMGE 1400)
- Photography I (PHOT 1400)
- Communication For Design (COMM 1312)
- Preproduction Concept Art (DRAW 2400)
- Using Social Media (SOME 2400)
- Video Capture I (Documentary) (VIDC 2400)
- Video Editing I (VIDE 2400)
- Advanced Lighting (ADVL 3400)
- Creative Vision (CRVI 3400)
- Entrepreneurship And Professional Practice (ENTR 3400)
- General Education Elective (GNED 0000)
- Image Processing II (IMGE 3400)
- Product Photography I (PHOT 3401)
- Portrait Photography (PPHO 3400)
- Portfolio Development (DGPO 4402)
- Field Trips & Visiting Lecture (FTVL 4400)
- General Education Elective (GNED 0000)
- Product Photography (PHOT 4400)
- Event Photography (PHOT 4401)
Courses and course descriptions are subject to change.Back to Top
|YEAR ONE FEES||Domestic||International|
Please note: fees are based on the 2016-2017 academic year and do not include textbooks. For more information please see Other fees to consider.Back to Top
Students enrolled in laptop programs will enjoy an exceptional learning experience through the use of technology. The advanced technical skills and knowledge that employers look for in graduates will provide students with a decided advantage when entering the workforce. Please pay close attention to the hardware and software requirements of your program as the requirements are not the same for all laptop programs.
How laptop learning works:
- Review your specific program page for hardware and software requirements
- Acquire your own laptop from a vendor of your choosing including all of the hardware and software components listed below
Please note: Some software may be included in tuition fees for some programs. Please ensure that you are required to buy software before making a purchase.Back to Top
For a complete list of hardware recommendations please review the Hardware recommendations and FAQ document.
- Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan (bundled with new Apple notebook computer purchase)
- Apple iLife (bundled with new Apple notebook computer purchase)
- Microsoft Office for Mac (free offer from Microsoft Canada here once you have a DC Mail account)
NOTE: Membership in Adobe Creative Cloud™ is included in the Student Fees and will be available for new students in the first week of classes.
DO NOT PURCHASE THIS SOFTWARE PRIOR TO STARTING THE PROGRAM.
Creative Cloud brings together everything you need to create your greatest work. One simple membership gives you and your classmates to the very latest versions of all the Adobe professional creative desktop applications like Photoshop®, Illustrator®, and more — plus new features and upgrades as soon as they're available. And that's just the beginning. With Creative Cloud™, everything you need to create intuitively and collaboratively is included.
Free downloadable software (please download and install prior to the start of classes):
- Adobe Flash Player
- Audacity 2 or later
- Firefox and Google Chrome web browser
- Printer driver for RICOH Aficio SP 5210DN
- TextWrangler 4
- USB flash drive for storing smaller amounts of data
- External hard disk USB or FireWire powered 1 TB or larger
All students MUST have a Cat 5e or Cat 6 Ethernet cable 2 meters long to connect to the campus network.
NOTE: These requirements were accurate at the time of posting and are subject to change. Please be aware that hardware and software versions are subject to change and will be updated as needed.Back to Top
Special pricing has been secured to give you the best possible value on your camera purchase. For details and participating locations please review the Student Pricing document.
Students are required to purchase a digital single lens reflex (DSLR) camera in order to complete the course work and assignments in the Digital Photography program. The hardware, software and photographic equipment used in this program are needed to teach the advanced technology skills required in the workplace.
Media Equipment Loans in the School of Media, Art & Design (MAD) have an inventory of accessories available for students enrolled in this program including:
- Studio lights
- Variety of specialty lenses made by Canon
Please note: the lenses will only fit Canon cameras so this should be a consideration when choosing your camera. MAD does not stock any lenses other than Canon for student lending.
As you begin to prepare for college, we wanted to inform you of special membership program with Canon Canada that allows you to shop at any authorized dealer for the best price and get discounts as a member of the Canon Student CPS Program. Membership gives students discounts on the dealer's best pricing for eligible equipment, at time of purchase. For complete details, please visit Canon Canada's website. A two year Student CPS membership is $50. For example, a member of the program gets an additional $350 discount on the Canon EOS 5D Mark III with 24-105 lens. Pricing and discounts are subject to change. Please see Canon's site for details.
There are three recommended models of DSLR camera that you may consider and each will meet the academic requirements of your program.
- Our professors have extensive professional experience and recommend the Canon EOS 7D Mark II with 18-135mm lens (approx. $2149) as ideal for incoming students. Designed with advanced features and functions, this camera meets all the needs and expectations for this program. Students will seamlessly integrate into the workforce upon graduation, armed with the same tool used by many of our industry partners.
- Alternatively, students may wish to purchase a more professional camera with full frame capability and better low light performance. Our professors recommend the Canon EOS 5D Mark III with 24-105mm lens (approx. $3700). Although this camera costs more money, it will perform better, exceeding the demands of the program.
- Students with a limited budget will be able to complete the curriculum with the Canon EOS 70D with 18-55mm lens (approx. $1300) a high-end, consumer-grade camera. While this camera is adequate, it will limit students' ability to photograph images in low light or at a high-capture rate. Students will likely need to purchase a professional grade camera upon graduation if they intend to make photography their career.
For more information or questions regarding program technical requirements, please contact Oliver Fernandez, Photo and Video Support Specialist at Oliver.firstname.lastname@example.org, or 905.721.2000, ext. 2671.
Please note: These requirements were accurate at the time of posting and are subject to change.Back to Top
Opportunities For Degree Completion Or Additional Credentials
Graduates can apply to the second year of Durham College’s Digital Video Production program and complete the program in one academic year (two semesters).
Graduates may also be eligible to apply their academic credits toward further study through Durham College’s partnerships with many Canadian and international colleges and universities.
Please visit the Transfer Guide for more information.Back to Top