“Every artist was first an amateur.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Ours are the media through which artists, designers and technical creatives understand and express ideas, even those that are not related to artistic expression. Art that is worth looking at rarely deals only with art issues. Learn to make a difference with images, sounds and words.Back to Top
Program Description (Laptop program)
NOTE: Students enrolling in this program are required to purchase their own laptop. For specific hardware and software requirements for this program click here.
The Fine Arts program will offer you a wide range of experience and knowledge in the visual arts through a variety of ideas, mediums, materials and techniques including:
- Site-specific installations
- Sound and video production
With curriculum based on fundamental courses in art, craft and design, you will be introduced to historical precedents, critical analysis and the practical skills natural to visual culture and its disciplines. Courses also focus on:
- Entrepreneurship and professional practice
- Product and materials design
- Video production and editing
- Web development
You will learn to use your skills and talents as an artist, developing a personal aesthetic and making significant contributions to the local culture and economy by collaborating with community groups and not-for-profit organizations. You will also benefit from experienced faculty and close proximity to galleries, museums and studios located in Durham Region and across the Greater Toronto Area.
Through the production of a comprehensive portfolio of work, you will possess the combination of professional studio experience and entrepreneurial skills required to build a successful career in this vibrant sector.Back to Top
Ontario Secondary School Diploma, General Educational Development, Academic and Career Entrance – College Prep Level or Mature Student Status plus senior level (Grade 11 or higher) subject credits, college preparation (C), university/college preparation (M), university preparation (U) or post-secondary (college or university) in:
- Grade 12 English
- Experience and exposure to art and design making (helpful but previous formal instruction is not necessary)
As a graduate, you will be prepared for employment in visual media, art and design within cultural sectors including:
- Animation, game development or illustration
- Curatorial assistant
- Maintaining a professional studio for personal and public art production
- Museum or gallery preparator/technician
- Photography, video production and post-production
- Studio art production
Course List & Descriptions
Courses and course descriptions are for the next academic year and are subject to change.Back to Top
|Compulsory Ancillary Fees||$1,010||$1,570|
Please note: fees are based on the 2012-2013 academic year and do not include textbooks. For more information please see Other fees to consider.Back to Top
Students enrolled in laptop programs will enjoy an exceptional learning experience through the use of technology. The advanced technical skills and knowledge that employers look for in graduates will provide students with a decided advantage when entering the workforce.
Please pay close attention to the hardware and software requirements of your program as the requirements are not the same for all laptop programs.
How laptop learning works:
- Review your specific program page for hardware and software requirements
- Acquire your own laptop from a vendor of your choosing including all of the hardware and software components listed below
Please note: some software may be included in tuition fees for some programs. Please ensure that you are required to buy software before making a purchase.Back to Top
Laptop Hardware and Software Requirements
For a complete list of hardware requirements please review the Hardware requirements and FAQ document.
- Mac OS X 10.7 Lion or later (included with new Apple notebook computer purchase)
- Apple iLife ’11
- Adobe Type Classics for Learning
- Microsoft Office for Mac Academic 2011
NOTE: Adobe® Creative Suite® 5.5 Master Collection software is included in the Student Fees and will be available for new students in the first week of classes for an annual fee of $150.
DO NOT PURCHASE THIS SOFTWARE PRIOR TO STARTING THE PROGRAM.
Adobe® Creative Suite® 5.5 Master Collection software delivers the professional creative tools you need to reach audiences everywhere, even on Android™, BlackBerry®, and iOS devices. Create standards-based websites in HTML5, produce video faster than ever before, and design immersive digital experiences.
Free downloadable software (please download and install prior to the start of classes):
- Adobe Flash Player
- Audacity 1.3.14 beta or later
- Firefox web browser, current version
- Printer driver for Xerox Phaser 4510N
- TextWrangler 3
- USB flash drive for storing smaller amounts of data
- External hard disk USB or FireWire powered 250 GB or larger
- Wacom Intuous 3 6×8 inch digital graphics tablet
All students should have a Cat 5e or Cat 6 Ethernet cable between 1 and 1.5 meters long to connect to the campus network.
NOTE: These requirements were accurate at the time of posting and are subject to change. Please be aware that hardware and software versions are subject to change and will be updated as needed.Back to Top
Opportunities For Degree Completion Or Additional Credentials
Qualified graduates may be eligible to apply their academic credits toward further study through Durham College’s partnerships with many Canadian and international colleges and universities. Please visit the Transfer Guide for more information.
Back to Top
Diploma To Degree Opportunities
- Bachelor of Business Administration (General Business) - Davenport University
- Bachelor of Fine Arts - Nipissing University
Students with disabilities who wish to discuss accommodation plans are encouraged to contact the Centre for Students with Disabilities.Back to Top