Selection criteria can be based on a combination of the following:
- Review of academic record
- Review of required additional documentation including volunteer/work experience, reference letters, etc.
- Test or questionnaire results
- Portfolio review
Selection is based on the entrance requirements listed under individual program descriptions. All applications received by ontariocolleges.ca on or before February 1 for fall start or October 1 for winter start will be considered equally. Early application is encouraged. Programs that have more individuals apply than seats available by the equal consideration deadline will be deemed highly competitive and ranked in order. The most qualified applicants will be offered seats or placed on a waiting list.
Highly Competitive Programs
The term highly competitive denotes programs for which there are more qualified Ontario applicants than available seats. As a result, qualified applicants who have submitted applications no later than February 1 for a fall start and October 1 for a winter start will undergo a specific selection process.
Priority of Admission
For highly competitive programs, students are accepted according to the following priorities:
- Permanent resident of Ontario (under review)
- Permanent resident of other province(s) and territory(ies) in Canada
- Applicant from other countries
Selection process for highly competitive programs
Selection is based on an average of the four prerequisite senior level subjects (grades 11 or 12 or post-secondary) excluding co-op.
If subjects other than English are required for program entry, they will be used as part of the three other grades in the selection average if marks are available. If marks are not available for the prerequisite subject(s), you must currently be registered in the required subject(s). Marks for similar past courses will be substituted as follows:
- Grade 11 English substituted for Grade 12 English (C, M or U)
- Grade 11 mathematics substituted for Grade 12 mathematics
- Grade 11 biology substituted for Grade 12 biology
- Grade 11 chemistry substituted for Grade 12 chemistry or
- Grade 11 physics substituted for Grade 12 physics
If multiple subject credit marks are available, the highest mark will be used.
Other required subject credits
- Grade 11 English substituted for Grade 12 English
- Grade 11 mathematics substituted for Grade 12 mathematics or
- Grade 11 science substituted for Grade 12 science
Please note: All transcripts must be requested/received at ontariocolleges.ca by February 1 for a fall start and October 1 for a winter start in order to be considered for admission to a highly competitive program at Durham College. Please contact ontariocolleges.ca or at 1-888-892-2228 for further information regarding this process.