Staff to child ratio
The Campus Childcare Centre is licensed by the Ministry of Children and Youth Services and operates under the regulations of the Day Nurseries Act as well as the Child and Family Services Act. Based on their legislative requirements, the centre is licensed to care for:
- 30 toddlers (18 to 30 months of age);
- 24 preschoolers (30 to 44 months of age);
- 20 junior/senior kindergarten children (44 to 67 months of age); and
- 15 school-age children (5.8 to 12 years of age) for PA days and March Break accommodation.
The staff to child ratio is:
- One ECE for every five toddlers;
- One ECE for every eight preschoolers;
- One ECE for every 10 junior/senior kindergarten children; and
- One ECE for every 15 school-age children.
The centre serves as a practicum setting for ECE students, as well as a demonstration setting for student assignments. In addition, students from a variety of Durham College and UOIT programs are able to conduct observations or conduct group activities with parent permission. ECE students completing a practicum requirement have the opportunity to interact with staff, children and families. While completing their training, these ECE students augment the ratio, but are not included in the staff to child ratio.
Since children arrive and depart at random times of the day, and are not active during the rest period, we reduce the staff to child ratio during arrival, departure and rest times to allow our staff a lunch break. Please note that children are adequately supervised at all times and that a decreased staff to child ratio at these times is allowed by the Ministry of Children and Youth Services.share