This program allows students who have graduated from related programs or possess experience in the journalism field to advance their skills through specialized reporting and documentary production, including writing, editing, digital production, research skills, investigative techniques and data journalism that will help add breadth and depth to their storytelling. Students will be able to masterfully weave together a compelling story in a documentary or long-form article that resonates with a diverse audience while gaining entrepreneurial potential to take their career to the next level.Back to Top
Program Description (Laptop program)
NOTE: Students enrolling in this program are required to have a laptop. For specific hardware and software requirements for this program click here.
The Investigative Journalism and Documentary Production graduate certificate program is designed for individuals with previous post-secondary education credentials, and equips them with new skills to allow them to succeed in a broad range of employment opportunities in the media industries.
Students will advance their essential journalism skills with courses covering on-camera presence and enhanced storytelling skills, documentary production and entrepreneurship. Students will also learn specialized writing skills and investigative techniques, including field research and data journalism. This two-semester program prepares students to work as investigative journalists, production assistants, multimedia reporters, and content writers.
Students will gain valuable experience through a capstone project, producing a broadcast quality documentary, which will provide them with the confidence and portfolio to land employment in the news and information industry. Students will also have their work published through a multimedia platform online magazine.
You will learn to:
- Develop and produce a short documentary film demonstrating production and post-production expertise, including output to different formats.
- Create interactive web assets for a media project.
- Plan a documentary or feature pitch to a producer, broadcaster or distributor.
- Prepare a media proposal that includes financial, legal, marketing, and distribution.
- Locate data by investigating public records, and scraping websites & PDF’s for use in an investigative news story.
Students demonstrate the integrated learning of this program by creating a broadcast quality documentary or a long-form, investigative article. Using techniques learned in all courses, the students will produce a multi-platform project that is a capstone of their studies.Back to Top
- Journalism-related diploma or degree or demonstrated competence through related work experience
WHAT YOU COULD BE:
- Documentary producer
- Investigative journalist
- Data journalist
- Multimedia journalist
- Digital Video journalist
- Content writer
WHERE YOU COULD WORK:
- Documentary production
- Film/television/radio industry
Course List & Descriptions
- Documentary Practice: History And Methods (DOCU 5300)
- Long Form Journalism (JOUR 5300)
- Field Research I (JOUR 5301)
- Advanced Videography For Journalism (JOUR 5302)
- Investigative Journalism I (JOUR 5303)
- Advanced Reporting I (REPT 5305)
- Capstone Projects (CAPS 6300)
- Entrepreneurship & Professional Practice (EPRO 6300)
- Investigative Journalism II (JOUR 6300)
- Field Research II (JOUR 6301)
- Media Production IV (MEDI 6309)
- Documentary Production (REPT 6300)
- Advanced Reporting II (REPT 6305)
Courses and course descriptions are subject to change.Back to Top
|YEAR ONE FEES||Domestic||International|
Please note: fees are based on the 2016-2017 academic year and do not include textbooks. For more information please see Other fees to consider.Back to Top
Students enrolled in laptop programs will enjoy an exceptional learning experience through the use of technology. The advanced technical skills and knowledge that employers look for in graduates will provide students with a decided advantage when entering the work force. Please pay close attention to the hardware and software requirements of your program as the requirements are not the same for all laptop programs.
How laptop learning works:
- Review your specific program page for hardware and software requirements
- Acquire your own laptop from a vendor of your choosing including all of the hardware and software components listed below
Please note: Some software may be included in tuition fees for some programs. Please ensure that you are required to buy software before making a purchase.Back to Top
For a complete list of hardware recommendations please review the Hardware recommendations and FAQ document.
- Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan (bundled with new Apple notebook computer purchase)
- Apple iLife (bundled with new Apple notebook computer purchase)
- Microsoft Office for Mac (free offer from Microsoft Canada here once you have a DC Mail account)
NOTE: Membership in Adobe Creative Cloud™ is included in the Student Fees and will be available for new students in the first week of classes.
DO NOT PURCHASE THIS SOFTWARE PRIOR TO STARTING THE PROGRAM.
Creative Cloud brings together everything you need to create your greatest work. One simple membership gives you and your classmates to the very latest versions of all the Adobe professional creative desktop applications like Photoshop®, Illustrator®, and more — plus new features and upgrades as soon as they're available. And that's just the beginning. With Creative Cloud™, everything you need to create intuitively and collaboratively is included.
Free downloadable software (please download and install prior to the start of classes):
- Adobe Flash Player
- Audacity 2 or later
- Firefox and Google Chrome web browser
- Printer driver for RICOH Aficio SP 5210DN
- TextWrangler 4
- USB flash drive for storing smaller amounts of data
- External hard disk USB or FireWire powered 1 TB or larger
- DSLR camera that supports manual exposure and settings
All students should have a Cat 5e or Cat 6 Ethernet cable between 2 meters long to connect to the campus network.
NOTE: These requirements were accurate at the time of posting and are subject to change. Please be aware that hardware and software versions are subject to change and will be updated as needed.Back to Top
Opportunities For Degree Completion Or Additional Credentials
Qualified graduates may be eligible to apply their academic credits toward further study through Durham College's partnerships with many Canadian and international colleges and universities.
Please visit the Transfer Guide for more information.Back to Top