Student Insurance Plan

What are the opt out and opt in deadlines?


September-start students:
Begins September 1
Deadline September 30

January-start students:
Begins January 1
Deadline January 31

February-start students: (see note below)
Begins February 1
Deadline February 28

May-start students: (see note below)
Begins May 1
Deadline May 31

NOTE: February and May-start students must complete a paper opt-out form through The Student Association office and provide proof of coverage.

What if I already have coverage?

Coordination of Benefits

Benefits under the two plans can be coordinated to increase your coverage up to a total of 100% of the actual expense(s) incurred. For example, the student would submit for reimbursement under the student plan and submit any outstanding balance to the secondary plan for consideration.

Opting Out of the Plan

You may decline coverage for Dental and a portion of the Extended Heath coverage by visiting within the deadlines dates listed above. To opt out of them, you must provide proof of similar coverage elsewhere (i.e. as a dependent under your parent’s or spouse’s insurance). You will be asked the name of the insurance company, policy number and the name of the subscriber.

Coverage for prescription drugs, travel, and accidental death and dismemberment are all mandatory.

Print off the confirmation you receive and keep it as proof that you opted out. If there are any discrepancies between the student and student insurance plan you will be required to provide the confirmation.

Am I enrolled in the Health and Dental Plan?

As a full-time registered Durham College student you are automatically covered by the Student Insurance Plan. The fee is included with your tuition and must be paid as part of your tuition. Students may also choose to opt-in their spouse and dependent children for an additional fee during the month they start full time in the policy year.

Are there changes to my student plan that I should be aware of for the 2015-2016 policy year?

YES! The Student Association at Durham College & UOIT (SA) changed providers as of September 1, 2015.

The policy number is 513974. Your ID number is your student number, plus the letter ‘D’ at the front (i.e. D1001112233). ClaimSecure pays the claim.

Also new this year: we removed the maximum on birth control per policy year; no note is required for a student to see a psychologist; and we offer three flex plans at no additional cost. For information on the flex plans visit or stop by the SA Main Office, located on the 2nd Floor of the Student Centre.

How do I receive my refund?

When you complete the online opt out form you can provide your banking information (bank account must be the student’s account) for direct deposit or if no banking information is provided or it is incorrect a cheque will be issued to the student in early November.

Can I enroll my Spouse and Dependent Children?

Students may obtain coverage for their spouse and dependent children by enrolling them by the opt-in deadlines listed above. Adding someone to the plan comes with an additional fee, which can be paid online at by VISA or MasterCard, or through certified cheque or money order at the SA Main Office.

When does the insurance plan start and finish?

The Student Insurance Plan is effective from September 1st to August 31st or from the date you start as a full time student, January start-start students would be January 1 – August 31st.

Is there a black out period?


How do I make a drug/dental/EHC claim?

Your student identification card may be used at any participation provider (pharmacist or dentist) across Canada and payment of eligible claims will be honoured. To fill a prescription drug or dental claim, you will need to supply the pharmacist/dentist with the claim information. Drop by the Student Association or go to for information.

Some practitioners file their claims electronically and others may ask you to pay up front. If you pay for a service/prescription you will then need to send the appropriate form to ClaimSecure for reimbursement. Forms are available by going to or by going to the Student Association office on the second floor in the Student Centre.

My claim was rejected. Why? What can I do?

First ensure that the proper documentation was included and the information provided was correct. If there is a problem with your claim, contact Donna Judson at 905.721.1609. If the proper group number or student ID is not used your claim cannot be processed.

How do I make an accident claim?

Accident claims should be submitted on an authorized Accident Claim Form, available from the SA Main Office. The form must be signed by the Executive Assistant & Health Plan Coordinator. Students must have received treatment from a qualified physician/dentist within 30 days from the date of the accident. The physician/dentist must complete a section of the form.

Is there a pharmacy on campus?

Yes. Lovell Drugs is located in the Campus Health and Wellness Centre.

Are oral contraceptives covered?

Yes. Oral contraceptives are covered, along with the patch, Nuva Ring and IUD’s. There is no maximum on birth control per policy year.

What is the dispensing fee cap?

Pharmacies charge a fee for dispensing medication. The maximum amount allowed for a dispensing fee under the plan is $10.00; any amount charged over and above will be payable by the student.

Are preventative vaccines covered?

Yes! Preventative vaccines, including Hepatitis B are covered at 80%. All immunizations and inoculations not covered under OHIP are covered at 80% by the plan, with the exception of group immunizations or inoculations. MENACTRA a vaccine for meningococcal disease, the cause of MENINGITIS, is covered at 80%. Menactra protects against all four strains of meningococcal disease A, C, Y AND W-135. College students are the most at risk because students live in close proximity to one another.

Where can I go for help?

Visit the SA website at for more information about the Student Insurance Plan, located in the ‘Support’ menu. You can also stop by the SA Main Office, located on the 2nd Floor of the Student Centre, weekdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., or contact Donna Judson, Executive Assistant & Health Plan Coordinator at 905.721.1609 ext. 3984 or

Apply Now button