Search the FAQs
Use the form below to search the FAQs
Can friends and family visit me while I live in residence? Is there a limit on how long they can stay over?
Yes, friends and family can visit you in residence. Guests must sign in at the front desk upon arrival.
Overnight guests are permitted to stay up to a maximum of two nights in one week. Exceptions may be granted by managers only.
Recommendation: Discuss having guests visit with your roommate to ensure that he/she is comfortable with the arrangement.
- Simcoe Village: 656 beds (200 in South Hall, 242 in Central Hall, and 214 in North Hall); and
- South Village: 708 beds.
No, the residence is completely smoke-free. There are designated smoking areas outside the residence.
For more information, please visit the Residence website at www.durhamrez.ca.
No roommate changes will be made in the first two weeks of school (unless the situation is of an urgent nature).
If you wish for a roommate change you must first contact your resident advisor (RA). He or she is trained in mediation and may be able to solve the conflict.
Next, you may request a roommate change in writing to the residence life co-ordinator. Roommate change requests are judged on their merits before being accepted or rejected. You can request a meeting with one of the managers to discuss your roommate issues.
The residence is staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Office hours are Monday to Friday 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The general manager, residence life manager and operations manager have voicemail you can access by calling 905.728.8700 if you need to reach them after hours.
The deposit is used as a damage deposit for your room will be returned to you less any outstanding charges owed after you move out. It is required with your application.
Simcoe Village - South Hall
- Open concept suites with a four piece bathroom and a kitchenette featuring a compact refrigerator.
Simcoe Village - Central Hall
- Open concept suites with a three piece bathroom and a kitchenette featuring an apartment size refrigerator.
Simcoe Village - North Hall
- Two bedroom suites with a three piece bathroom and a kitchenette featuring an apartment size refrigerator.
- Two bedroom suites with a three piece bathroom and a kitchenette featuring a compact refrigerator. A mandatory meal is required for all South Village residents.
- Electronic cards access for student rooms;
- Residence offers a controlled main entrance;
- Sign-in and registration for all visitors prior to entry with valid photo identification;
- Staff on duty 24 hours a day; and
- Video recorded common areas.
Recommendation: lock your suite door at all times and do not leave valuables unattended as the residence, college and the university are not responsible for missing items.
Visitors can park in one of the campus visitor parking lots. There is a charge for visitor parking.