DC Connect Activation
Students are required to submit the required documentation for their field placement and Observing the Young Child via DC Connect.
Please complete the following steps no less than one (1) week before the posted deadline below, in order to submit your Pre-Placement Paperwork on time:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org and provide the following information:
- Full Name
- Student ID Number
- Within 2-3 business days, you will be activated in two modules in DC Connect for submission of your required paperwork. They are the “Pending Activation” and the “Pre-Placement Paperwork” Module. You will submit your paperwork in the “Pre-Placement Paperwork” module associated with your program.
- It is required that you send this information at least one week prior to the deadline posted in the table below.
NOTE: This does not register you in the Field placement course itself. You also need to register and pay the course fee for the placement before the deadline in the table below.
- Once you have access to DC Connect, please read and follow all of the instructions outlined in the “Pre-Placement Paperwork” course for your diploma or certificate program.
- Upload the required documentation to each of the drop boxes in the Pre-Placement Paperwork module.
- You must regularly check the DC Connect Pre-Placement Paperwork Module once you have submitted your documentation to ensure each item has been accepted and approved. You will receive feedback within the module on each item uploaded as they are reviewed.
- If any documentation is missing or incomplete, you will be advised of this via the feedback section of each DC Connect assignment box.
NOTE: In addition to the instructions above, you must also register for your placement course (and seminar if applicable) by the term deadline noted below.
You do not need to wait for your paperwork to be approved before you register for your course.
Once you have been approved and cleared for placement, you will receive an email from the Practicum Officer providing your next steps. You are not to begin any placement hours until you have been officially cleared.
|DC Connect Paperwork Module OPENS in DC Connect||July 10, 2017||November 2017||March 2018|
|Placement Course Registration OPENS||July 10, 2017||TBA||TBA|
|Placement Registration & Paperwork Modules CLOSE||August 25, 2017||TBA||TBA|
Failure to register and submit all completed required documentation by the deadline date above will result in you not being eligible for placement for the current term.
- Field Placements are available to Ontario residents only.
- You are not permitted to complete a placement where you are employed.
- Early Childhood Education (ECE) students completing the first two ECE field placements via Prior Learning Assessment & Recognition (PLAR) will not be eligible for a specialized setting in the final field placement.
- Early Childhood Education Field Placement 3 is not eligible for PLAR.
PLACEMENT FAQs AND REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION
All of the required forms are found in the DC Connect Pre-Placement Paperwork Module for your program’s field placement. Please follow the instructions above to be activated in the DC Connect Module.
Click the program name below for additional placement details and to view a list of the documents required for each program’s field placement:
- Business Programs
- Early Childhood Education Diploma
- Educational Support Diploma
- Health/Nursing Programs
- Social Service Worker Diploma
ONLINE TRAINING MODULES
Each placement requires the following Online Modules to be completed prior to applying for your field placement.
Each student must complete and provide proof of completion (via DC Connect) for each of the Online Modules below as part of your application submission:
- Worker Health & Safety Awareness in 4 Steps
- WHMIS Training
- AODA Training
- Workplace Violence and Harassment Prevention
ENTRY IMMUNIZATION FORM (EIF)
The completion of the Entry Immunization form (EIF) ensures that you have taken the necessary precautions to avoid contracting or spreading disease or illness.
These forms can take a significant amount of time to complete so it is strongly advised that you make an appointment with your family doctor or the Durham College Health Centre (on campus) to get these forms filled out as soon as possible.
You MUST have an approved EIF before you can attend placement.
Your EIF must remain valid for the duration of your placement.
Print the forms and bring them to your doctor’s appointment. The doctor will need to fill out the forms completely.
Click HERE for a copy of the Entry Immunization Form.
Please note: The Health Care Provider information page included in the form explains each immunization that is required. Please bring this with you to your doctor’s appointment.
If you have completed this form in the recent past, you may be able to use the same form providing all of the immunizations are still up to date.
If you do not have a family doctor, you can make an appointment with the Campus Health Centre.
Campus Recreation and Wellness Centre – Room G1030
Hours of Operation Mon. to Fri. 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
CRIMINAL REFERENCE CHECK (CRC)
You must have a current Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening submitted by the due date.
We ONLY ACCEPT ORIGINAL criminal reference checks so order a minimum of two copies, as you may be required to provide a copy to your placement host. Your original will not be returned.
The Criminal Reference Check must be valid within 6 months of your placement, and remain valid for the duration of your placement. (Note: Depending on where you are placed, your placement host may require a CRC newer than Durham College’s requirement. – example: Regional Daycare centres often require the CRC is no more than 1 month old).
Please note that you must provide an Original CRC for every placement.
If your placement begins in January, the CRC cannot be issued prior to August of the previous year.
If your placement begins in May, the CRC cannot be issued prior to December of the previous year.
If your placement begins in September, the CRC cannot be issued prior to April of the same year.
Criminal Reference Checks must be either hand delivered or mailed/couriered to:
Continuing Education, Durham College
2000 Simcoe Street North, Office A160
Oshawa, Ontario L1H 7L7
Attn: Laurel Kimball, Practicum Officer
DURHAM REGIONAL POLICE:
To request a Criminal Record Check and/or a Vulnerable Sector Screen a student must have a letter on letterhead, with a staff signature stating the reason the check(s) are required. Click HERE to obtain a copy of this letter.
TORONTO POLICE SERVICES:
If you are from the Toronto area, you will need to book an appointment with Durham College’s Director of Campus Safety, Tom Lynch to have your form signed. You must bring 2 pieces of Photo Identification with you.
Tom Lynch, Director Office of Campus Safety
T: 905-721-2000 ext. 2943
OUTSIDE DURHAM AND TORONTO:
Request the Criminal Reference Check with Vulnerable Sector Screen as per your police department’s requirements. If you require a letter on Durham College letterhead, please click HERE.