Epic Mac n’ Cheese Competition
Durham College (DC) is excited to announce its second annual Epic Mac n’ Cheese competition! The event will be hosted at DC’s Centre for Food (CFF), and gives Grade 11 and 12 students who are considering a career in culinary, hospitality or special events planning an opportunity to win a bursary* towards their education.
Saturday, April 9 from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
8:30 a.m. – Registration
9 to 11:15 a.m. – Epic Mac n’ Competition
11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. – People’s choice tasting and voting
2 p.m. – Award ceremony
Durham College (DC) Centre for Food (CFF)
1604 Champlain Ave, Whitby
Are you a student?
Put your recipe to the test! Grab a friend, and register today because there can never be too many cooks in the kitchen. Bring your family and friends to cheer you on as you whip up the most epic mac n’ cheese they’ve ever tasted. Each student competing in the Epic Mac n’ Cheese Competition will be given one ticket for a family member or teacher to attend the event free of charge.
The following is a list of criteria for the competition:
- A maximum of 24 teams will be allowed to compete.
- Each team will create tasting portions of mac n’ cheese from a limited selection of ingredients (ingredient list will be provided to registered competitors).
- People’s choice awards will be given to the top three favourite recipes.
- Students will compete in teams of two with support from DC culinary students and faculty.
- Teammates must be from the same school.
- The winning team will also receive a prize for their school.
- Viewing is open to the public and the competition will be judged by the attendees.
Students must email their completed application package to Chef Peter Lee, competition chair, at email@example.com by 5 p.m. on Friday, April 1.
Applications will be reviewed by the committee and confirmation of acceptance into the competition will be sent by email on Monday, April 4.
Are you a friend, family member, teacher or mac n’ cheese lover?
Join us to cheer on teams of secondary school students who will whip up delightful and daring mac n’ cheese dishes that are designed to make your mouth water. The best part is… you decide the winner. Awards will be given for first, second and third place. Bring the kids along for a fun culinary event for the whole family!
The public may pre-order their ticket(s) at the door on the day of the event. Cost for admission is:
- Adults (ages 13+) – $10.
- Youth (ages six to 12) – $5.
- Kids (five-years-old and under) – free.
*Bursaries are subject to the student being enrolled in a Culinary, Hospitality, or Special Events Planning program offered by the Centre for Food at Durham College. Bursaries will be awarded during the student’s second semester of study. Bursary application information will be provided on the day of the competition.